||LEAD 535i: Participatory Models of Leadership
||Dr. David Herrera
||Class activities run June 30, 2019 – July 6, 2019 Classes will be offered each day and attendance at all sessions is mandatory, given the condensed schedule.
LEAD 535i: Participatory Models of Leadership (3 units)
This intensive summer course is an opportunity for participants to be exposed first-hand to a unique organizational model of participatory leadership, management, employee ownership and decision making by attending lectures and visiting sites at the Mondragón Corporación Cooperativa (“Mondragón”) in Mondragón, Spain. Students will become acquainted with Mondragón’s unique leadership, management, educational, training, financial and human resources systems, as well as its globalization initiatives. Participants will also learn the core values that support Mondragón, which are based on a balance between organizational and individual needs, the dignity of the person and of work, solidarity with each other and the community, and economic and social justice. Finally, participants will become acquainted with the institutionalized policies, processes and practices that support Mondragón’s economic and social success.
Estimated Program Costs
|Tuition (reduced tuition rate of $780 per unit)
|Global Center Fee
Notes about program costs:
- TUITION for this program is at the reduced SOLES Global tuition rate of $780/unit.
- PROGRAM FEE includes onsite logistical items such as classroom rentals, speakers, overhead, some group activities, four lunches and one dinner, and ground transportation to all course related company visits. If you apply and are accepted to this program then withdraw, any costs incurred on your behalf will be charged to your student account.
GLOBAL STUDY FEE is $350. A non-refundable charge of $150 will be placed on your student account for all withdrawals after February 21st. Any withdrawal on or after March 1st, the entire $350 will be placed on your student account.
- AIRFARE is not charged to your student account. Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Please check current airfare using your departure and return cities for a more accurate estimate.
- ACCOMMODATION costs are currently estimates only and still being negotiated with the hotel in Spain. Calculations are based on double-occupancy (sharing a room) accommodations and the current exchange rate (subject to change). Students are not required to stay at the group hotels, although it is highly recommended. The group hotel in Mondragon is the Hotel Mondragon. Weekday room rates (for shared room) are approximately 45 Euro per person. Weekend room rates (for shared room) are approximately 30 Euro per person. A 10 percent VAT (value added tax) is in addition to the listed rates.
- WITHDRAWAL/REFUND POLICY. If at any point after enrolling in the program you decide that you wish to cancel your participation, you must submit written notification to the Global Center <email@example.com>. A simple email will suffice. Students are responsible for all non-recoverable costs incurred by USD. Tuition refunds for the program are processed according to the same on-campus tuition refund policy established by the USD Finance Office.
Accepted students should apply immediately for any necessary tourist visas. Students are solely responsible for obtaining their own visas.
Spain is a member of the 26 countries in the Schengen area. Therefore, for short-term tourism under 90 days, U.S. citizens do not require a visa to travel to Spain. However, please make sure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check if you require a visa
. If so, students should consult the Consulate of Spain
for appropriate application instructions.
Peter Maribei, Ph.D.
SOLES Global Center
University of San Diego