||LEAD 535i: Participatory Models of Leadership
||Dr. Jaime Alonso Gomez
||Class activities run July 2, 2023 – July 7, 2023 Classes will be offered each day and attendance at all sessions is mandatory, given the condensed schedule.
Optional pre-program excursion to Bilbao and San Sebastian runs July 1-2, 2023.
There will be 1 to 2 class sessions prior to travel and 1 post-travel class session.
LEAD 535i: Participatory Models of Leadership (3 units)
This intensive summer course is an opportunity for participants to be exposed first-hand to a unique organizational model of participatory leadership, management, employee ownership and decision making by attending lectures and visiting sites at the Mondragón Corporación Cooperativa (“Mondragón”) in Mondragón, Spain. Students will become acquainted with Mondragón’s unique leadership, management, educational, training, financial and human resources systems, as well as its globalization initiatives. Participants will also learn the core values that support Mondragón, which are based on a balance between organizational and individual needs, the dignity of the person and of work, solidarity with each other and the community, and economic and social justice. Finally, participants will become acquainted with the institutionalized policies, processes and practices that support Mondragón’s economic and social success.
The course is the longest running course at the School of Leadership and Education Sciences (20 years). SOLES Mondragon Brochure 2019
with more information about the history of the program and other activities you can expect to be a part of.
See a video made
by a previous student of her experience in the program.
*Graduate students in the Knauss School of Business, Kroc School
, and the Master of Arts in International Relations
are also eligible to take this course after seeking clearance from their respective departments. Please email the Global Center to be included in our communications.
Estimated Program Costs
|Tuition (reduced tuition rate of $880 per unit)
|Global Center Fee
|Accommodations (estimated and based on double occupancy)*
* Based on a double occupancy rate at the hotel. The accommodation will not be billed to the student's account. Students will pay directly to the Mondragon Hotel.
Notes about program costs:
- TUITION for this program is at the reduced SOLES Global tuition rate of $880/unit.
- PROGRAM FEE of $1,235 includes onsite logistical items such as classroom rentals, speakers, overhead, some group activities, four lunches and one dinner, and ground transportation to all course related company visits. If you apply and are accepted to this program then withdraw, any costs incurred on your behalf will be charged to your student account.
GLOBAL STUDY FEE is $400. A non-refundable charge of $150 will be placed on your student account for all withdrawals after March 1st. Any withdrawal on or after March 8th, the entire $400 will be placed on your student account.
- AIRFARE is not charged to your student account. Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Please check current airfare using your departure and return cities for a more accurate estimate.
- ACCOMMODATION costs are currently estimates only and still being negotiated with the hotel in Spain. Calculations are based on double-occupancy (sharing a room) accommodations and the current exchange rate (subject to change). Students are not required to stay at the group hotels, although it is highly recommended. The group hotel in Mondragon is the Hotel Mondragon. Weekday room rates (for shared room) are approximately 55 Euro per person. Weekend room rates (for shared room) are approximately 35 Euro per person. A 10 percent VAT (value added tax) is in addition to the listed rates.
- WITHDRAWAL/REFUND POLICY. If at any point after enrolling in the program you decide that you wish to cancel your participation, you must submit written notification to the Global Center <firstname.lastname@example.org>. A simple email will suffice. Students are responsible for all non-recoverable costs incurred by USD. Tuition refunds for the program are processed according to the same on-campus tuition refund policy established by the USD Finance Office. Review the SOLES Cancellation policy - summer 2023.
The application window for the program is from February 1st at 12:00pm
to February 15th at 11:59pm
. To be considered for acceptance, your online application must be complete by this date. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by February 22. Further information will be provided to accepted students. If you have already opened an online application, continue working on it by visiting the direct login page
Accepted students should apply immediately for any necessary tourist visas. Students are solely responsible for obtaining their own visas.
Spain is a member of the 26 countries in the Schengen area. Therefore, for short-term tourism under 90 days, U.S. citizens do not require a visa to travel to Spain. However, please make sure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check if you require a visa
. If so, students should consult the Consulate of Spain
for appropriate application instructions.
Director | SOLES Global Center
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA 92110
Mother Rosalie Hill Hall room 129
Phone: (619) 260-5901