Florence & Rome,
|LEAD 579i: Leadership and Social Responsibility in Civil Society
Dr. Laura Deitrick and Dr. Leslie Boozer
|Travel dates June 11-19, 2022.
Classes will be offered each day and attendance at all sessions is mandatory, given the condensed schedule.
LEAD 579i: Leadership and Social Responsibility in Civil Society (3 units)
What is the role of the leader in ensuring their organization is socially responsible? How does a “giving back” mindset contribute to the solving of our wicked problems? This course provides students with an opportunity to learn about the foundations of social responsibility in business, education, and nonprofit settings. Through the study of history, law, ethics, politics, and culture, students will trace the roots of social and civic responsibility from ancient to contemporary times and reflect on how these practices are critically important for leadership in an increasingly globalized society. Students will spend their time between Rome and Florence, visiting historical sites, operating NGOs and foundations, social enterprises, and educational institutions.
Estimated Program Costs
|Tuition (reduced tuition rate of $850 per unit)
|Program expenses (based on double occupancy)
|Global Study Fee
|Estimated total cost (not including airfare)
Notes about program costs:
- TUITION for this program is at the reduced SOLES Global tuition rate of $850/unit.
- TRAVEL EXPENSES are estimated at $2,220. The program fee includes on-site logistical items such as lodging, classroom rentals, speakers, some group activities, meals, and transportation to class activities. If you apply and are accepted to this program then withdraw, any costs incurred on your behalf will be charged to your student account.
- GLOBAL STUDY FEE is $400. A non-refundable charge of $150 will be placed on your student account for all withdrawals after March 14th. Any withdrawal on or after March 28th, the entire $400 will be placed on your student account.
- ACCOMMODATION costs are built into the program. Housing is provided from TBD (check in date) to TBD (check out date). Additional housing charges may be assessed if students drop the class after hotel accommodations are made on their behalf. Accepted students will be provided with further information regarding the group hotel and will be asked their housing preferences.
- AIRFARE is not charged to your student account. Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Please check current airfare using your departure and return cities for a more accurate estimate.
- WITHDRAWAL/REFUND POLICY. If at any point after enrolling in the program you decide that you wish to cancel your participation, you must submit written notification to the Global Center <firstname.lastname@example.org>. A simple email will suffice. Students are responsible for all non-recoverable costs incurred by USD. Tuition refunds for the program are processed according to the same on-campus tuition refund policy established by the USD Finance Office.
The application window for the program is from Monday, February 14, 2022 at 12:00pm
to Friday, March 4, 2022 at 11:59pm
. To be considered for acceptance, your online application must be complete by this date. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by March 14, 2022. Further information will be provided to accepted students. If you have already opened an online application, continue working on it by visiting the direct login page
American citizens are not required a visa to enter Italy if they plan to stay under 90 days. However, your passport must be valid for at least six months after your planned departure date.
SOLES Global Center
University of San Diego