||Pre & Post Abroad Session
|Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Pilanesburg, South Africa
||EDSP 589i: Healthy Environments & Inclusive Education in a Global Society
||Dr. Rebekka Jez
||Travel for this course is from Jan 12, 2022, to Jan 23, 2022. Classes will be offered each day, and attendance at all sessions is mandatory, given the condensed schedule.
Pre-session (synchronous online): 9/10, 10/8, 11/5, 11/19, 12/10
Travel: (leave 1/10) 1/12-1/23
* Fall Course With Travel During Intersession
EDSP 589i: Healthy Environments & Inclusive Education in a Global Society (3 units)
This course provides candidates with an opportunity to learn more about local and global perspectives on educating diverse learners. We will emphasize the cultural and linguistic diversity of Black South Africa and the challenges of educating this broad group of students including a strong emphasis on the history of South African R-12 schooling with specific attention to racial stratification and segregation. We will begin to answer the question: How do you educate all children equally in multiracial, multicultural, multilingual societies? A comparative overview of American and South African education systems and cultural norms using readings, lectures, digital media, critical reflections, discussions, and experiential activities such as working with cultural liaisons. Students will be asked to complete a ChangeMaker project in collaboration with South African educators from universities and schools in Johannesburg. Additionally, students will attend and present at the DISES conference in Cape Town and local community event in California.
Estimated Program Costs
|Tuition (reduced tuition rate of $850 per unit)
|Estimated Program Expenses (based on double occupancy)
|Global Study Fee
|Total (based on double occupancy and not including airfare)
Notes about program costs:
- TUITION for this program is at the reduced SOLES Global tuition rate of $850/unit.
- PROGRAM EXPENSES are estimated at $1,810. The program fee includes on-site logistical items such as lodging, classroom rentals, speakers, some group activities, meals and transportation to class activities. If you apply and are accepted to this program, then withdraw, any costs incurred on your behalf will be charged to your student account.
- GLOBAL STUDY FEE is $400. A non-refundable charge of $150 will be placed on your student account for all withdrawals after May 1st. Any withdrawal on or after May 15th, the entire $400 will be placed on your student account.
- ACCOMMODATION costs are built into the program. Housing is provided from January 12 (check-in date) to January 23 (check-out date). Additional housing charges may be assessed if students drop the class after hotel accommodations are made on their behalf. Accepted students will be provided with further information regarding the group hotel and will be asked about their housing preferences.
- AIRFARE is not charged to your student account. Students are responsible for purchasing their own airfare. Please check current airfare using your departure and return cities for a more accurate estimate.
- WITHDRAWAL/REFUND POLICY. If, at any point after enrolling in the program, you decide that you wish to cancel your participation, you must submit written notification to the Global Center <email@example.com>. A simple email will suffice. The information on the cancellation policy can be found here: SOLES Cancellation Policy- Global Study Fall 2021
The application window opens on Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 11:59AM,
and the deadline to apply for the program is Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 11:59PM
. To be considered for acceptance, your online application must be complete by this date. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by May 3, 2021. Further information will be provided to accepted students. If you have already opened an online application, continue working on it by visiting the direct login page
Accepted students should apply immediately for any necessary tourist visas. Students are solely responsible for obtaining their own visas. If you are required to obtain a visa, you may apply directly through the host country's consulate for a tourist visa. Contact Lindsay Allen for an introductory letter and proof of insurance if required. The information provided below applies to U.S. citizens. Please review the State Department website for instructions on entry/exit requirements.
U.S. citizens may enter South Africa for tourism purposes without a visa if they present their U.S. passport, valid for at least six months after their date of entry into South Africa, and a return ticket to the United States or an onward ticket to another country.
We are planning for travel to resume beginning in Fall 2021. Students should plan on obtaining a vaccine as soon as possible. Please keep your vaccination documentation should you need it. The travel requirements are developing, and the Global Center will monitor this for you.
SOLES Global Center
University of San Diego