|Madrid & Valencia, Spain
||MSEL 530: Leadership and Culture in a Global Context (1.5 units)
||Dean Jaime Alonso Gómez
||October 21-27, 2018 (requires arrival to Madrid on October 21 and departure from Valencia on October 27)
||At August and September on-campus sessions
MSEL 530: LEADERSHIP AND CULTURE IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT (1.5 units)
Managing organizations and people of diverse national cultures is a critical leadership skill that enriches organizations and contributes to success in a global business environment. Emphasis is placed on viewing global awareness as a necessary operational tool to global business strategy. Attention will be devoted to critical interpersonal skills of the Global Leader, including among other things, multi-cultural communication, ethics, managing hierarchy in mixed cultures and differing views on time. Also, the course will explore the complex decision-making processes associated with cross-cultural management, the context of international business, the economic and social impact of corruption and culturally consistent leadership. Teaching methodology includes case studies, video examples, experiential exercises, role plays and discussions.
Financing Your Program
|Tuition (regular tuition rate of $1,670 per unit)
|Round-trip airfare from SAN
||Included in tuition
Notes about program costs:
- TUITION for this program is at the regular graduate MSEL tuition rate of $1,670 per unit. Accommodations are included in the cost of the tuition rate.
- PROGRAM FEE includes international emergency medical insurance, welcome reception, two city tours, transportation from Madrid to Valencia on the high-speed train, closing activity, ground transportation to/from company visits and/or guest lectures, classroom venue, hotel accommodations and company visits.
- AIRFARE is estimated using kayak.com from San Diego as of February 2018. Check current airfare using your departure and return cities for a more accurate estimate. You may also want to consider flights from TIJ (Tijuana) and LAX (Los Angeles).
- ACCOMMODATION costs are built into the program. You will be housed in a double-occupancy room, and will share a room with a student of the same gender, unless you request otherwise. Housing is provided from October 21 (check in date) to October 27 (check out date) and includes daily breakfast. If you wish to stay in the group hotel for additional nights, or have a single occupancy room, your student account will be charged accordingly. Accepted students will be provided with further information regarding the group hotel and will be asked their housing preferences. No refunds will be given if students choose to stay in a different hotel or with local contacts.
- In addition to the tuition, round-trip flight ticket and program fee, participants will be responsible for paying for ground transportation to/from airports and hotels, meals not listed above, and personal spending money.
The application deadline for this program is April 30, 2018. To be considered for acceptance, your online application must be complete by this date. You will be notified of next steps and be given further flight booking details by May 7, 2018. From then, you must provide your flight itinerary and final accommodations requests by May 29, 2019. If you have already opened an online application, continue working on it by clicking here.
Accepted students should apply immediately for any necessary tourist visas. Students are solely responsible for obtaining their own visas. If you are required to obtain a visa, you may apply directly through the host country's consulate for a tourist visa or contact Danielle Levanetz for a visa service referral. The information provided below applies to U.S. citizens. If you are not a U.S. citizen, see if you need a visa.
U.S. Citizens traveling to Spain are required to carry a valid U.S. passport to enter and depart Spain. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for a tourist stay of 90 days or less. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 3 months past the departure date from Spain, although 6 months is recommended.
Ahlers Center for International Business
University of San Diego
Coronado Room 118
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
tel: +1 (619) 260-6881